Sunday, March 10, 2013

Patient-Centered Medical Homes

I found an article that discussed PCMH in New York State.  It discusses a program that will help primary care offices receive National Committee for Quality Assurance medical home recognition.  This recognition will help the provider and the patient because it qualifies the providers to receive the incentives, decided on in 2009 by the NYS department of health, for Patient-Centered Medical Homes developed and it will help improve health outcomes due to better coordination and integration of healthcare.  I also really enjoyed learning the "Joint Principles of the the Patient-Centered Medical Home" that were decided upon by the AAFP, AOA, AAP and ACP.  These principles described the individual elements of the PCMH and helped me better understand the practice.  It also showed me that this is the type of healthcare I want to be a part of.  As a PA, I want to be able to help my patients is the most efficient manner and with all the support they need to have the best outcome.  I also want to be a part of a team that not only includes myself, a physician and other healthcare providers but the patient and their family as well.  I think healthcare is on the right track with the development of Patient-Centered Medical Homes and other patient-centered practices and hopefully the end result is a healthier community with less healthcare costs.

http://www.ipro.org/index/patient-centered-medical

2 comments:

  1. As a former Wayne County resident, I am very excited for the PCMH initiative to reach Wayne County. I think that the PCMH model is especially important in rural communities because there are less resources and less providers. Therefore, it only makes sense that the medical system become more organized, accessible, and integrated. I really like your point about including patients and families in the medical team because it is imperative that patients and families be involved in health care in order to deliver the best care possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Rachel said. I believe the PCMH initiative will really help rural counties become more integrated in terms of healthcare, and it will give rural areas more access in terms of long distance coverage. It is nice to find so many other future providers who agree that healthcare should directly involve and circle around the patient and their family. It is refreshing, and keeps me optimistic for a healthier system in the future.

    ReplyDelete